HEAD OF DEPARTMENT DESIGNATE: WESTERN CAPE EDUCATION
Closing Date: 2016/04/29
Tracking Number: HOD 2016-01
Job Title: Head of Department Designate: Western Cape Education
Department: Department of Education
Salary level: 16
Reporting To: Minister D Schafer
Job Type: Contract
Location: Cape Town – CBD
The Western Cape Education Department, is seeking the services of an individual to provide leadership to the Department and is able to ensure delivery of the Departments mandate of quality of education and education institutions within the province.
• A relevant postgraduate Degree (NQF 7 qualification as recognised by SAQA).
• A minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience at senior managerial level (at least 5 years’ must be a member of the SMS in the Public Service).
• A Masters Degree in Education or an education related field.
• Extensive stakeholder relations within an education environment.
• A valid code B driver’s license.
Key Performance Areas:
1. Responsible for the provision of education planning services; management of curriculum development and assessment and examination processes; manage the development of basic education institutions and management-structures and coordinate delivery of programmes and activities.
2. Ensure compliance with statutory frameworks, regulations and professional ethics; and proactively implement policies and strategic priorities of the provincial government.
3. Analyse national norms and standards and policies and advise the provincial government on the implications for provincial policy; implement education innovations in a changing context.
4. Liaison with stakeholders on local, provincial and national executive level, ensuring good governance between entities.
5. Maintain good relations with relevant role-players; Also responsible for the strategic management, people management and financial management of the Department.
6. Provide efficient financial management services to the Department, including budgeting and complete oversight of the Departments Finances.
• Knowledge of the latest advances in public management and theory.
• Advanced knowledge of Organisational Development, People Management, Knowledge Management, institutional performance systems and processes of culture change and social capital development
• Advanced knowledge of modern systems of governance and administration.
• Knowledge of the policies of government of the day.
• Knowledge of global, regional and local political, economic and social affairs impacting on the provincial government of the Western Cape.
• Knowledge of Constitutional, legal and institutional arrangements governing the public sector.
Remuneration: All-inclusive remuneration package of R 1 656,618.00 – R 1 866,183.00 per annum (Salary Level 16).
Note: The remuneration package consists of a basic salary (70%) and the employers contribution to the Pension Fund. The remainder of the package may be structured according to your requirements.
Notes: Note: All shortlisted candidates will be subjected to a technical exercise that intends to test relevant technical elements of the job, the logistics of which will be communicated by the Department. Following the interview and technical exercise, the selection panel will recommend candidates to attend a generic managerial competency assessment (in compliance with the DPSA directive on the implementation of competency based assessments). The competency assessment will be testing generic managerial competencies using the mandated DPSA SMS Competency Assessment tools.
Please Note: Employers and Recruiters may expire a job post at any time. This post expires on Friday April 29th, 2016 5:00pm.